Wednesday 17 February 2010

What have i learned from this project?

I found that by using the three random images and asking people to create a story from them, they tended to be more inventive as they had no restrictions. As i hadn't picked the photos to be used they were free to think as they wished and interpret the photos as outrageously as they wanted.
I couldn't really establish a strong link between the stories and thought by adding a fourth photo of my choice i could gain a sort of control.
I decided to bring in the idea of a food chain- birds eat mice. I therefore chose a net as my last photo hoping that people would catch onto the idea of hunting, or being trapped.
Interestingly the first of the feedback i received wasn't a story. Stewart told me of the feelings the images evoked and it appeared he found the images, as a whole, unsettling.
By simply adding one image of my choice, people began to think deeper into the meanings of the photos as opposed to simply seeing them as images. Without using words, by carefully selecting what we show the viewer, we can manipulate them in a way into thinking what we want them to think.
Once i put the images into an open facebook chat, people began to feed off each others thoughs and the idea of a story seemed to be abandoned. It seemed an example had been set on what people thought was to be achieved from the task.
I found it interesting how one images effectively changed the way everyone interpreted the photos. All their thoughts seemed to branch from the idea of restriction, everyone seemed to feel the images as a whole were unsettling, but when by themselves they are just images.

No comments:

Post a Comment